Sunday, February 2, 2014

Love does not boast

Do you do something well? Do you dance, sing, play soccer, play volleyball, write, draw? Are you smart, athletic, pretty? There's lots of other things you may be good at too. It's way too easy to boast. To say "ha! I can do it and you can't!" The Bible has lots to say about boasting. Here are some verses:

May the Lord silence all flattering lips and every boastful tongue.
Psalm 12:3

In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever.
Psalm 44:8

Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.
Proverbs 27:1

This is what the Lord says:
“Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the Lord.
Jeremiah 9:23-24

Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”
1 Corinthians 1:31

If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.
2 Corinthians 11:30

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
Galatians 6:14

P. S. I want to remind everyone that when I say "we shouldn't boast" or "we should be kind" it doesn't mean we can change ourselves. It means we should turn the One who can and ask for help. :)

How about you? Do you have problems with boasting too much? 

No comments:

Post a Comment