Saturday, February 21, 2015

I Like Giving by Brad Formsma

~Saturday Stories~


Have you ever felt like you just "had" to give? There are so many people out there who need it so you reluctantly stick your hand in your pocket and reach for a few bills. But what if we actually wanted to give? If we thought of it not as an obligation, but as an opportunity? What if we woke up in the morning brimming with ideas on how we can help someone today? 


I Like Giving's main idea is that if we give freely we will feel more joyful and alive than if we just live for yourself. It explores the topic of cheerful giving - no strings attached - and how that can be contagious and just awesome. Many real stories are shared - everything from buying nail polish for some girls to renovating a single mom's home. It makes one think "what can I do?" And if we don't have much ourselves, we shouldn't worry: giving doesn't have to big. "I Like Giving" got me thinking of creative ways I can give. 

However, I was disappointed with the book in a number of ways. Although this is a Christian author, very very little is said about the One who gave the biggest gift ever. The emphasis is continually placed on the giver; he gives because it makes him feel more alive. The world's real situation of those desperately in need is rarely if ever given as a reason to give. Also, it is stressed that we live to give. Although giving is indeed very important, I believe telling others of the good news of Christ is even more so. 

Even though not the best book ever, I Like Giving can encourage us to be more spontaneous in your giving. Giving is a privilege.  

For more on Brad Formsma, visit his Facebook page. For more on the I Like Giving movement, visit the Facebook page and the website

"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7  (NIV)

Disclaimer: I received this book from Blogging for Books in return for a review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment